Wednesday, September 18, 2013

IHCC: September Pot Luck

It's potluck time again and one last time I'm going back to Madhur Jaffrey. I had the intention to do something from Ottolenghi, but things keep preventing that from happening. And today was grocery day, so that means fish, and, as it frequently does, it means an Indian sort of fish dish as the center of the meal.

From Flavours of India (p195), there was Spicy, Pan-Fried Fish Steaks Chettinad. I used cod (rather than kingfish) and it did fall apart a bit, as cod is wont to do, but tasted delicious. You simply rub the fillets with a paste with ground coriander, cayenne, turmeric, ground cumin, salt, lime or lemon juice, and water and let them marinate for 15 minutes or so. Then fry them ... well, I grilled them to avoid the extra oil.

For sides there were Fried Aubergine (Eggplant) Slices and Cauliflower with Potatoes from Indian Cooking (p90 and p109, respectively)

With eggplant from the garden, I used all the spices (salt, turmeric, cayenne, black pepper) for half the eggplant asked in the recipe. This is really tasty but suffers from the oiliness that fried eggplant always does. Next time I do this, I think I'll just wipe the slices with a bit of olive oil before applying the spice mix, then grill them. Serve with lemon slices.

Since I had broccoli to be used and didn't expect to find any good cauliflower in the shops, I used broccoli instead cauliflower for the potato dish. They're both brassicas after all and the green makes a prettier plate. This is another dish that uses those cold boiled potatoes you keep in the fridge. Right. First you fry some whole cumin seeds, then add the cauliflower, er, broccoli and stir until brown spots start appearing. Cover (I added a slog of water) and cook over lower heat till the veg is mostly done. Then add the cubed potato, chopped green chili, ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric, cayenne, ground roasted cumin (the last of my supply—I need to make more soon!), salt, and black pepper. Stir and cook till everything is warmed through.

Altogether a nice meal, if not really Ottolenghi as I intended.


Visit this week's I Heart Cooking Clubs to see what's turned up in this week's pot luck.

6 comments:

  1. This looks like an absolutely stunning and perfectly spiced meal! I can't decide which recipe I like better ;) You are making me think I need to get out my MJ books again. I need to spice things up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely and delicious meal! Both the fish and veggie sounds great! I would happily finish the whole plate myself, looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love Madhur Jaffrey's recipes! You have certainly given us a beautiful plate of Indian food here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous meal, Kaye - I love the sound of the fish dish. This is a good reminder that I haven't cooked with Madhur Jaffrey for a while, and I need to rectify that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always seem to make the best Madhur Jaffrey fish dinners--this is exactly the kind of meal I love to eat! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many of Jaffrey's fish dishes are really easy to make. Shopping day is traditionally fish day, but lately it's been Indian fish day, scratching two itches at once!

    ReplyDelete