Monday, August 12, 2013

This week in the kitchen

Monday/12-Aug-13: Last night I prepped the bread machine with Authentic French Bread on Rapid Bake; this morning I came down early and pressed Go. Result, a large lovely loaf, not as dense as it usually is.

Defrosted the fridge/freezer. Found enough bones and bits in the freezer to make chicken broth. The fridge now stands on the hearth tiles, facing the outside doors. Very confusing.

Dinner helped with the fridge-cleaning business. I lined two dishes with a tortilla each, added the leftover Spanish rice, then topped them up with a custard of one egg and some crème fraîche, spiced up with cayenne, chili powder, and a sprinkle of ground cumin. Pretty good those were. And some corn on the cob. And a half recipe of Green Bean and Napa Cabbage Salad (web). The green beans I had, store-bought plus some from the potager, weren't enough, so I added some snow peas to round it out. This is a really good salad; it would be nice at a potluck dinner or picnic.

Yogurt on overnight.

Tuesday/13-Aug-13: Work on disassembling the cabinets has started in earnest. One of the Ivars stands in the living room now; the second is unpacked; I'll pack up the third tomorrow to reassemble with the other. I wonder how many weeks they will stand there?

Dinner was Chipotle Lime Grilled Shrimp (web), broiled instead of grilled. Not bad. Served with polenta and a zucchini mish-mash, sautéed with garlic and shallots and some tomatoes. Some of the chocolate cake mini-magnums for afters.

Wednesday/14-Aug-13: Shopping today. And took delivery of 6m3 of wood for next winter; spend a lot of time putting that away.

Dinner was Grilled Swordfish, Chettinad Style (IndLight, p155). Ed prepped the bbq while I made Rice with Peas (MJ1, p149), Fried Aubergine Slices (MJ1, p99), and Onion Relish (MJ1, p174) as go-withs. All are repeats. The last time I did the eggplant, I think I broiled the bits, which I think I'll do again; fried eggplant is always oilier that I'd like. But it tastes good. For dessert with had some vanilla ice cream with chocolate liqueur (impulse buy at the store while looking for Kahlua).

Took down the third Ivar section today, but no time to reassemble.

Thursday/15-Aug-13: Dinner at Mazerolles' Fête Patronale this evening (followed by fireworks), so nothing food-wise happened in the kitchen. Three Ivars assembled and partially reloaded.

Friday/16-Aug-13: The peninsula cabinets are disassembled and moved into the center of the room, leaving a narrow aisle in front of the sink. The three narrow pantry cabinets are free of the wall. Ed thinks we won't have to move them into the living room, but just swing them aside. Which means I don't have to completely fill the Ivars since the boxes won't be needed. Hooray!

Dinner was a half-recipe of Casareccia with Zucchini and Fresh Basil (web, cookbooker), which made for pretty small servings, but maybe that's ok for those of us trying to lost a bit of weight. Followed by a big salad. Followed by my adaptation of Coffee Ricotta Mousse (MW@Home, p307) to use up the ricotta not used in the pasta sauce. Actually, my version of this is so far off, using cocoa with maybe only a dab of coffee (not tonight), that I should just write it up and call it my own. Added a dose of chocolate liqueur too. All was good.

Not thinking I'm going to get a post done for IHCC again this week. Too bad.

Saturday/17-Aug-13: Zucchini and winter squash in the garden, one plant each, are going crazy!

Dinner was a half dose of Risotto con Gamberi e Acetosa (WildCarluccio, p20), a risotto with shrimp and sorrel. Yum. Then some Apricot-Almond Clafouti (web) made in the afternoon. Also yum.

Sunday/18-Aug-13: Went out for pizza tonight. Nothing happened in the kitchen.

Progress on goals
This week: #1 IHCC/COOKBOOKS: no, #2 VEG/FISH: 5
This month: #3 PASTA: no, #4 BREAD: no

No comments:

Post a Comment