Monday, August 5, 2013

IHCC: Gorgeously green!

Back in the kitchen with Ottolenghi this week for something green after a couple of weeks off with company. When I went looking for a recipe I found I had already collected a green one from Jerusalem, via Orangette, one of my favorite food blogs. This was Pasta with Yogurt, Peas, and Chile and it sounded like just the sort of green thing that we'd like to eat. And it was!

First you buzz up a sauce with yogurt, olive oil, garlic, and some peas (either fresh or defrosted frozen). This becomes a beautiful pale green sauce.

While the pasta is cooking (I used orecchiette, but any shaped pasta would be fine), warm a bit more olive oil with pine nuts and chili flakes (I plain old chili flakes here, having no Urfa or Aleppo or Kirmizi biber) for about 4 minutes, until the nuts are golden and the oil is red. Warm more peas with some of the pasta water.

Drain the pasta, put it back in the pasta pot, and slowly stir in the buzzed sauce. You do this slowly to avoid curdling the yogurt. (Actually, the recipe has you put the newly buzzed sauce into a big bowl and then add the pasta to that. To keep the head dishwasher happy, I usually save a dish by doing the mixing in the pasta pot.) Add the warmed peas, a lot of torn basil, crumbled feta, and some salt. Top with the pine nuts and chili oil and serve.


The recipe is advertised to serve 6. I made about half the sauce with about a third of the pasta as dinner for two. Maybe it was a bit saucy, but we didn't notice. It was very good. This will be one of our favorite Ottolenghi recipes.

Visit this week's I Heart Cooking Clubs to see the green things that folks have been cooking up.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kaye
    Saucy is better! I would make more sauce too, and it sounds good. This is such a healthy and delicious looking pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why this would be one of your favorite Ottolenghi dishes. It's just the kind of thing we'd like to eat as well. All those tangy flavors with the yogurt and feta and a little bit of heat with the pepper. Sounds like a delicious and healthy dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm... this looks fabulous! I am all for extra sauce--especially when it looks as good as this one does. ;-)

    ReplyDelete