Friday, August 23, 2013

IHCC: August Pot Luck

Between kitchen renovations and the zucchini glut from the garden, there's not much serious cooking going on here right now. But today was shopping day, and shopping day means fresh fish. What better way is there to cook fish than Indian? A quick trip through Madhur Jaffry's books came up with quite a long short list of fish-for-dinner recipes.

Using up bits of garden bounty, I served the fish with Pan-Grilled Zucchini (At Home with Madhur Jaffrey, p173) and Fried Aubergine (Eggplant) Slices (Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking, p99), both of which I've made before. The zucchini is pan-fried (you could also pan-grill it) then sprinkled with a squeeze of lemon then some salt, freshly ground black pepper, ground roasted cumin, and cayenne. The eggplant is tossed with salt, turmeric, cayenne, and freshly ground black pepper, then pan-fried and served with slices of lemon. I've not done this yet, but I next time I'll cut the eggplant slices a bit bigger and add just a bit of oil with spices, then pan-grill or broil them.


For the fish dish, I finally settled on Grilled or Bhuna Fish Steaks from Foolproof Indian Cooking (p44), using some salmon fillets rather than swordfish (or other) steaks. You make a lumpy sort of paste of grated ginger, crushed garlic cloves, garam masala, ground cumin, turmeric, ground mustard, cayenne, lemon juice, salt&pepper, and maybe a bit of water. Spread this on the fish and let it sit while you get everything else ready. Then just pop it under the broiler or on the grill till it's done.


Visit this week's I Heart Cooking Clubs to see what's turned up in this week's pot luck. I'm also sharing this with the newly discovered Cook Your Books, where I'll try to share monthly something cooked from a seldom or never used cookbook. Since this fish dish is the first I've made from Foolproof, it qualifies.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kaye, A lovely Madhur meal! Both the zucchini and eggplant sounds simple and lovely. The fish must be very good with all the marinating spices. Cooking under the broiler makes it all the more flavourful!
    A wonderful potluck meal.
    Thank you for linking to CYB, and have fun discovering new recipes from your cookbooks. See you again in CYB!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaye, I love that you frequently keep us connected with Madhur Jaffrey - a good reminder that I need to revisit. Your fish dish was a great choice - I love fish with Indian flavours.

    Actually, we discovered an amazing little vendor in our town yesterday selling the most wonderful fresh flounder straight off the back of his boats. Apparently he is there every Saturday, so I'll definitely be going back, and I think next week it might just get the Madhur Jaffrey touch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like the perfect dinner to me. Madhur Jaffrey has the best flavors-yum! ;-)

    ReplyDelete