Sunday, July 14, 2013

IHCC: Fruitfull!

It's fruit for Ottolenghi this week. And, of course, there are lots of fruity things to be made. But I finally settled on some White Chocolate and Cranberry Biscuits—that's Cookies to us Amurricans—from Ottolenghi (p225). Ed says he doesn't like white chocolate, but he liked these cookies. The dried cranberries were sold by a Canadian choir touring the area a while ago.

These are fairly easy to make as cookies go and were the sort of crispy, chewy combination that we both like.

Stir together four, salt, baking powder, and baking soda, and set aside with some along with some rolled oats. Measure some white chocolate (chips if you have them) and some dried cranberries into another bowl

Cream some butter, vanilla, white sugar, and brown sugar in largish bowl (the biggest of the regular 3-bowl Pyrex set is big enough). Stir in the flour mixture and oatmeal. Then stir in the chocolate and cranberries. Don't overmix.

Chilling the batter for a bit helps with the shaping. Set balls between the size of an olive and a walnut on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper and pop them in the oven for 10 minutes. Ten minutes was just perfect for the top shelf but a bit short for the bottom shelf.

Result? About three and a half dozen of some really more-ish cookies. Very bad for the diet for those of us with little self-control.


Visit this week's I Heart Cooking Clubs to see what fruity things people have been serving up!

4 comments:

  1. Oh boy...I certainly wish I had seen this recipe before I made the disastrous clementine cake. I absolutely love white chocolate when paired with a sweet dried fruit, such as cranberries or cherries. These would be terrible for my self-control as well. I'd probably have to eat one right after another :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. White chocolate and cranberry is such a great cookie combination. I would be tempted to eat all of them myself! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cookies sounds very addictive! I love dried cranberries, and would imagine I would eat most of the cookies when the kids are at school!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny thing, when I first got my copy of Ottolenghi: The Cookbook, about 4 years ago, this was one of the first recipes I bookmarked. Not sure why I haven't made it yet, but now I'm really wanting those cookies, so perhaps this weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete