Monday, June 3, 2013

This week in the kitchen

Monday/3-Jun-13: Parboiled and peeled the fêves that I removed from the pods on Saturday (I guess it was). They turned into Peeled Fava Beans with Red Onion, White Wine, and Mint (PeV, p130). I made all the sauce for half the pasta; otherwise it would have been really skimpy. Tasty. Then a big salad. Then we finished the St Marcellin.

Can't get all excited about Ottolenghi this week. The week theme is a sweet; the monthly "community challenge" is hummus. Neither of which really ring my bell. If I don't get something for Ottolenghi done, tonight's dinner will be my cookbook, since this is only the second thing I've made from this book.

I assembled our new Weber grill today, so tomorrow we'll probably bbq. Something easy, but it's time to inaugurate it.

Tuesday/4-Jun-13: Off to the dentist early today; turned into a lazy day. Meant to bbq this evening, but Ed was tuckered out from installing the wallboard behind the stove, so I did everything inside. Grilled some duck sausages, which were good but way too salty. Eating them with some hominy lessened the impact. I think this brand (Le Gaulois) is the source of other very salty sausage we've had. (The packaging was a candidate for Consumer Reports back page: the package was the size of most all sausage packages leading you to believe they're the same length. The printed part of the label covered one end of the package, which give you a clue. Pull back the wrapping, and what you find is a little "step" hidden under the printed part, leaving sausages about 2" shorter than expected.) As a go-with, I made Grilled Zucchini with Tomatoes and Balsamic Vinegar (PeV, p308), which is intended as a pasta sauce, but I served as a side without the pasta. Actually it would probably be okay served as a pasta salad kind of thing. For dessert we had toetjes from the boulangerie where I got bread this morning. Kind of a cream puff thing, covered with yummy dark chocolate and topped with a walnut half; the cream filling was walnuty also. Good, but we could have shared one, rather than having a whole one each.

Wednesday/5-Jun-13: Shopping today. Unfortunately when I got home I discovered that the duck breasts I bought for a meal later this week were the same brand as yesterday's sausages. Didn't even think to look. Same deceptive packaging too!

Dinner was the leftover coquelet, which reheated very well, along with an improvised salad of broccoli, zucchini, and feta, and some trio rice. Some double chocolate mini Magnums for after.

Thursday/6-Jun-13: Made some Rhubarb-Ginger Compote (Essential, p607) today. Served with some broiled salmon. Also made (more or less) some Old-Style Mustard and Rosemary Roasted Asparagus (web), which was quite easy and quite good. And some 5-grain tagliatelle that I picked up somewhere. Tasty dinner. The compote was surprisingly good and will appear again soon.

Friday/7-Jun-13: Yogurt on overday. David brought over a huge basketful of strawberries today, so I spent most of the day in the kitchen making two different strawberry jams.

We went to a murder mystery evening that included a buffet dinner, so nothing happened in the kitchen after the jams.

Saturday/8-Jun-13: Dinner was Chickpea and Potato Curry, Caribbean Style (WorldVeg, p33; cookbooker). Really good stuff. Made a whole recipe, thinking I'd have leftovers, but we ate it all, and the servings weren't that big.

Sunday/9-Jun-13: Make a cake for IHCC today and got it posted just in time for this week's theme.

Dinner was Grilled Eggplant with Chick Pea Purée and Harissa (RealFast, p132). Have made this several times now and enjoy it for a fast and tasty dinner. Then a salad. Then some of the cake for Ed. (I had my piece before making dinner.)

Yogurt on overnight.

Progress on goals
This week: #1 IHCC/COOKBOOKS: yes, #2 VEG/FISH: 4
This month: #3 PASTA: no, #4 BREAD: no

No comments:

Post a Comment