Sunday, June 9, 2013

IHCC: Something Sweet

So sweet it is. Pear and Amaretto Crumble Cake from Ottolenghi (p218, and on the web) caught my eye since I've got a bottle of amaretto needing to be used up. It turned out to a tasty cake, but can't say it's one I'd ever make again. DH, the head dishwasher, asked if there were any bowls that I didn't use to make the cake. There's a bowl for tossing together the apple, pear, walnuts, lemon zest, and amaretto, plus the one I used for measuring the weight of the fruit and nuts. Then there's a bowl for the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, and ground almonds. And a couple more for the separated eggs, plus the small one to crack each egg into. (If you've ever opened a bad egg into a cake batter, you learn to open your eggs into a separate dish before adding them to anything.) And a big bowl for mixing the batter. And a little one for mixing the crumble. (I made a fifth recipe of the crumble recipe to top the loaves.) That's a lot of bowls for what's essentially a tarted up quick bread.

It tastes yummy, I must say, and the balance of cinnamon to cloves is just right. Very moist and full of chunky fruit.


Visit I Heart Cooking Clubs to see what sweet treats people are cooking up this week.

4 comments:

  1. Oh boy...I don't really enjoy a sink full of dishes, but pear and amaretto sounds like a really good combination. I bet it was tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the flavors in this and that topping but yes, the amount of bowls needed would drive me a bit crazy too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot of bowl! Haha! But then, you (and hubby) are rewarded with a lovely dessert! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious..I am ok with a little kitchen carnage if the result is worthy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete