Wednesday, June 19, 2013

IHCC: June Potluck

It seems like the monthly Potluck theme falls right about the time I'm getting a serious craving for Indian food. So here we are again with yet another from Madhur Jaffery. This time all from At Home with Madhur Jaffrey. This is a newish book for me that I got during the last IHCC challenge after reading about lots of good recipes from it.

Today being our day for shopping means fish for dinner. So we had Delicious Pan-Grilled Halibut (or Swordfish, or Salmon)—with swordfish since there was no halibut—(p47), accompanied by Karhai Broccoli (p148) and Potatoes with Cumin and Mustard Seeds (p164).

The pan-grilled swordfish was indeed delicious, and also easy to make. First you rub the fillets with turmeric and salt. This sits while you make a mixture of grated ginger, smashed garlic, lemon juice and cayenne which gets rubbed into the fish in turn for another sit. The fillets are then dusted with rice flour (I used ground rice that I used to clean my spice grinder) and quickly browned in a skillet. Then in the oven till cooked through. Almost an hour of wall clock time passes while this is happening, but there's quite a bit of unattended time.

The broccoli was a nice variation on a steam-sautéed veg. Asafedtida, then cumin and mustard seeds are heated in hot oil. When the seeds start popping, stir in the broccoli. After a minute stir in some salt and cayenne. Then add a slog of water, cover, and simmer on low heat until the broccoli is done, stirring occasionally.

The potatoes would be a snap if you kept boiled potatoes in your fridge (as happens in all well-regulated kitchens, right?). The cold, boiled potatoes are cut into smallish dice. Cumin and mustard seeds are popped in hot oil. Then slivered ginger is added, followed by the potatoes. When this has been well stirred together, sprinkle on salt, red pepper flakes, and freshly ground black pepper. Cook till the potatoes are lightly browned. This would be a good dish with most meals, including your breakfast eggs.


This post is linked to I Heart Cooking Clubs, where you can check out what potluck dishes other folks have made this week.

6 comments:

  1. Your whole dinner looks amazing. I especially love that fish with the ginger, garlic and lemon. Yum! Great Potluck picks. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so delish! Swordfish is super expensive here in New England, but this recipe would certainly dress up a treat of a dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you always seem to make an entire meal for your posts. I can never manage to do that. You must be very organized!

    The fish sounds and looks delicious, but I'm all about those side dishes. The broccoli sounds especially delicious to me.

    Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an entirely beautiful meal, Kaye, but fish sounds like the real star to me. I would absolutely adore that, and with salmon very plentiful here I think I'm going to try that very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your meal looks and sounds wonderful. I'm particularly intrigued by the cooking method used for the broccoli, the reverse of the usual blanch and saute but somewhat less fiddly and involving fewer dishes. I'll have to give this technique a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kaye,
    Looks like both of us can never get tired of Madhur Jaffrey's recipes! I've made a pork curry this week. Your meal looks delicious and perfect for a weeknight dinner.
    Hope you have a wonderful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete