Wednesday, May 1, 2013

IHCC: Going with the Grain!

This week, grains. A nice topic, since I've been trying off and on to increase my grain "vocabulary." Nothing in Ottolenghi seemed to appeal for this topic, but a bit of searching on the web turned up Parsley, Lemon, and Cannellini Bean Salad, which seems to be from Jerusalem, although that's a bit unclear. When red quinoa turned up at the grocery store, I knew I'd found my salad. 

This is a really lovely summery salad. First you cook the quinoa by simmering it, then letting it sit covered for a bit. I made a half recipe, but needed to add almost the full amount of water to keep the quinoa from simmering completely dry.

While the quinoa cools, you shred some parsley, mint, and green onion. (I used shallot since green onions seem to be unknown in this part of the world.) Stir these together with some cannellini beans (canned is fine), some finely chopped lemon (all the lemon is chopped, except the seeds), some ground allspice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. 

I found it interesting that the entire lemon was chopped, peel, pith, and flesh, and worried a bit about the taste being too bitter from the pith. In fact, this wasn't a problem at all. The salad tasted of lemon, but only in a nice tart kind of way.

Stir everything together and serve. A half recipe served three people a bit skimpily; we would all have liked a bit more. The advertised four servings for the whole recipe is probably correct. 


This post is shared with this week's I Heart Cooking Clubs.

9 comments:

  1. Using the entire lemon would be a little worrisome to me too. Glad it worked out. I bet the parsley and lemon were refreshing in this salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lemons, and using an entire lemon does sound very tart to me, but sometimes the unexpected gives the most wonderful result! I'm glad this salad works out great for you! Looks very refreshing with the fresh parley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all these flavours & good to here the whole lemon worked too :) Sounds like a wonderfully bright & satisfying salad :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all these flavours & good to here the whole lemon worked too :) Sounds like a wonderfully bright & satisfying salad :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great salad from Ottolenghi! I'm wondering how red quinoa is different flavour-wise from the regular lighter version? I can't find red quinoa around my shopping haunts ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't really notice a flavor difference. It might be more an esthetic thing. The normal blond quinoa might be too pale for the nice contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really interested in chopping up an entire lemon and adding it to a salad. I would think it would be overwhelming, but I'm glad to hear it's not. I've never seen the red quinoa. Glad to hear you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of the ingredients in this salad and I am glad the lemon didn't overpower it. Such a great lunch salad with the beans and quinoa too.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great salad - I love everything in here, and I totally love the idea of chopping up the whole lemon - I can imagine that really, really works with the quinoa.

    ReplyDelete