Friday, April 26, 2013

IHCC: April Potluck!

It's potluck time at IHCC! And this round, we can also choose recipes from other IHCC chef/authors. Which only makes choosing harder, since there are seven other authors from which to choose. Oh dear. But, I realized, I'm needing an Indian fix, and Indian vegetarian would be even better. A little searching through my books turned up Spicy Eggplant Stew with Potatoes, Mushrooms, and Chickpeas (Shorvedar Baigan Aur Aloo) in Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian (p196). Plus, this had the great advantage of using up some things from the freezer and making a dent in some things from the larder. And, it turned out to be a delicious stew.

The stew is quite easy to make. There's a bit of peeling and chopping to do as prep, then it cooks for a long while relatively unattended, allowing the cook to do something else.

You start by frying asafetida and cumin seeds briefly, then adding dried red chiles. (As is often the case with Jaffrey's recipes, I used about half the oil asked in the recipe.) When the chiles darken, you stir in potato chunks. After a minute, stir in some eggplant chunks. After two minutes, stir in mushroom chunks. After two more minutes, stir in some turmeric and ground coriander. Then add tomato purée, water, salt, cilantro, and chickpeas. Simmer the stew until the veggies are done, 35 to 40 minutes. That's all there is to it.

I was a bit short on chickpeas and didn't want to open a can, just to use half of it, but this wasn't really a problem. In fact, the whole thing really seemed like a clean-out-the-pantry sort of dinner. I'm sure you could use bits of veg that need using up. Jaffrey gives instruction for adding okra. It seems that anything that has a shorter cooking time could just be added later.

The result was a yummy stew that we ate pretty much on its own, as a  one-dish dinner. The recipe says it says four to six. I think four would be stretching it. Two of us had dinner and we'll have a mugful each for lunch one day soon, so it might serve three comfortably.


This post is shared with this week's I Heart Cooking Clubs.

6 comments:

  1. This looks so hearty and comforting. I like that you adapt it with the different veggies and things too. A fun pick! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you went back to cooking with MJ. I know you really love her recipes (as did I). I think this sounds like a really tasty soup. I always enjoy making a recipe with all my leftover pantry ingredients.

    I'm using up my leftover ingredients this week too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A delicious bowl of veggie stew! I like all the ingredients that make this lovely stew.
    I could not decide which chefs' recipes to choose from too! I guess we are spoilt for choice where there's a sea of options!
    Have a lovely weekend, Kaye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love spicy veggie stews like this! A perfect easy supper for a busy Spring afternoon - bet the house smelled awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choice, Kaye. I would definitely love this stew - I'm all for anything that can turn into a "pantry raid", and I like that you chose a Madhur Jaffrey dish.

    ReplyDelete