Tuesday, March 19, 2013

IHCC: One Pot Wonders

Almost every week, about the hardest thing these Jaffrey challenges has been choosing what to make. Her books are (still) full of dishes I want to make right away. For this week, I already had a short list of several ideas when I ran across this one, Indian-Style Scrambled Eggs with Potatoes and Cauliflower in Madhur Jaffrey's Cookbook: Food for Family & Friends (p160). With part of a cauliflower in the fridge and some potatoes in a cupboard both wanting to be used soon, this was just the thing. I was making dinner for two, thus a half recipe, but happened to have enough cauliflower and potato for a whole recipe, so I cooked the full amount of veggies.

You start by sizzling some cumin seeds in hot oil. I used ghee, rather than vegetable oil, and about half what was asked in the recipe. After a few seconds, you add about half an onion, finely chopped, and fry till that's softened. Then you add some chopped potato and cook till the bits begin to brown. Then you add cauliflower bits, a chopped chili, and some grated ginger. (Earlier in the day, I had boiled several potatoes to keep in the fridge until I could use them. With the pot of hot water sitting there, I went ahead and cooked the cauliflower most of the way. This shortened the time needed for cooking the veggies later.) If they had been raw, you would need to add a slog of water and cook, covered, till they are pretty well done.

If you were scrambling the eggs, you'd now push the veg to the side, scramble the eggs in the middle of the pan, and mix in the veggies when they're almost done. Rather than scrambling the eggs, I decided a little practice making omelets was in order, so I heated up the cast iron skillet I use for omelets and made a couple. Of course, this meant dinner turned into a two-pot, one-dish meal, but the head dishwasher didn't complain.


Having a double amount of filling, I overfilled the first omelet, causing it to split, and making not such a pretty picture. Never mind, it tasted wonderful. The cauliflower-potato-onion mixture was simple and delicious, and seemed to go really well with the eggs. This is definitely something to make again.

This post is shared with this week's I Heart Cooking Clubs.

6 comments:

  1. despite aesthetics I am sure it tasted delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kaye,
    This is one egg dish that I've got to try. I love omelettes, any way they are cooked. And having potatoes cooked together sounds very good indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm... the potato and cauliflower combination is a favorite of mine and sounds perfect in the omelettes. Gotta love egg dishes for fast and easy. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cauliflower in this. Would never have thought to add it with eggs, but it sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to hear that you're enjoying Madhur Jaffrey's recipes. I love them too!

    I actually love eating eggs and love the idea of stuffing them with cauliflower and potato. Hearty, filling, and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the combination of potato and cauliflower with India flavourings - even better with egg. Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete