Monday, February 4, 2013

This week in the kitchen

Monday/4-Feb-13: My Galloping Gourmet spurtle went missing last week. I miss it! I've crawled around on the floor looking under things but haven't spied it. Where has it gone?

Off to a movie in the evening, so we had our main meal in the afternoon. Intended to make a dish of baked eggs with my leftover filo, but opened the package to find it was moldy. Harumph. So scrambled the eggs instead. It was good.

Tuesday/5-Feb-13: Leftover night. Took the meat from the chicken Indian chicken and warm it with the leftover sauce. (I wonder if the stock from these bones will have an Indian flavor?)  Sort of made some Indian Mashed Potatoes (Q&E, p90), and then a halfish dose of Gujerati Carrot Salad (MJ1, p170). For dessert there was Chocolate Mousse (MC).

Some Whole Wheat Soda Bread (Magic, p66) in the ABM overnight, so we'll have bread for breakfast.

Wednesday/6-Feb-13: Well, I really liked the Whole Wheat Soda Bread, but Ed didn't ... at breakfast time. Later when I served a snack with a bit of tapenade on a slice of bread before dinner, he though it was great. Go figure.

Shopping today. Went for gas afterwords, just when all the pumps went on strike. Wasted lots of time and ended up getting gas elsewhere.

Dinner was Cauliflower Cheese Tart (web) which wasn't bad at all. Followed by a salad. Then some cookies. Boring, eh?

Thursday/7-Feb-13: Dinner for IHCC tonight. There was Pakistani-Style Grilled Lamb Chops (MJ@Home, p119) with Pan-Grilled Zucchini (MJ@Home, p173) and a quarter dose of Mushroom Pullao (MJ1, p152). For the zucchini, I halved them lengthwise and made 2-3" sections to grill—this worked quite well. I bought three lamb chops yesterday and what I thought was three chops in the freezer was actually five, so we had lots of meat, which turned out to be OK because Yvonne came by at dinnertime and helped us finish them.

Friday/8-Feb-13: Pizza, I thought (thinking of going out to get one). Pizza! said Ed (thinking of me making one). So pizza it was tonight, homemade, with grilled veggies and too much cheese on top. Oh well. For dessert there were some slices of tart I bought when I stopped at the boulangerie on the way home from my afternoon outing. Yummy, but way too rich. We could easily have split a single piece between us. Kind of a pecan pie, but with walnuts, topped with a layer of dark chocolate.

Saturday/9-Feb-13: Made some chicken stock that may turn out to be a bit Indian-flavored from last week's roast chicken. Set it in the outdoor refrigerator where it will likely freezer overnight. I'll have to thaw it to give it a taste before I freeze it up proper.

Also cooked 500g of black beans. Dinner was then a halfish version of Black Bean Enchiladas (Bishop, p337). Oops, used the full amount of beans instead of a halfish amount. Served with Mama's Spanish rice and some guacamole. I'm stuffed. Have a whole lot of beans to do something with now.

Sunday/10-Feb-13: Froze up chicken stock; tasted good and not all that much Indian. Froze up two times 2 cups of black beans. Used the rest (another 2 cups?) to make a soup using up lots of odd bits from the freezer, including a half cup of canned black beans, some thick slices of poitrine nature, a cooked smoked sausage, and some broth from cooking a little ham. That turned into a yummy soup; a trifle salty, perhaps, from the ham that was cooked in it, but still good.

Progress on goals
This week: #1 IHCC/COOKBOOKS: yes, #2 VEG/FISH: 4
This month: #3 PASTA: no, #4 BREAD: no

No comments:

Post a Comment