Wednesday, January 23, 2013

IHCC: Sweet Endings

Indian cuisine is full of wonderful sweet things. Many of them are really too sweet for our tastes gulab jamun soaked in rose water syrup really sets both our teeth on edge. But there are some delicious creamy, milky, cheesy desserts waiting to be made. The hard part for this week's challenge was choosing. In the end, I took the easy way out and chose a fruit dessert that was simple-to-make and delicious—Pears Poached in a Saffron Syrup from Madhur Jaffrey's Cookbook: Food for Family & Friends (p185)

Peeled and cored pears are simmered for 25 minute is a simple syrup with cardamon pods, saffron threads, and lemon juice. After removing the cooked pears, the syrup is boiled down further. These are the plates waiting to be served. Before they got to the table, my DH added a scoop of vanilla ice cream to each plate. While this was very yummy, I'm not sure it wasn't a bit of gilding the lily.


Aside: France produces 20 kilograms of saffron each year. Last fall I visited a local safranerie where we got to pick the flowers and have a go at cutting the pistil from the flowers. The saffron I used tonight came from the shop there. The high price of saffron reflects the very tedious manual labor that's required to produce it.

This post is shared with this week's I Heart Cooking Clubs.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious. Harvesting saffron would be such a treat for me. Tediousness aside, you just don't get to do that every day!

    The cat dish made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple but delicious. Especially with the saffron added in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to harvest your own saffron. What an experience! I think these pears look beautiful! Great choice.

    ReplyDelete