Monday, December 17, 2012

IHCC: Foods To Warm You Up!

This was a topic open to a bit of interpretation. At first I thought something nice and hot would be in order, but then again, maybe a comfort food would be more in order. After yesterday's biryani feast, I opted for a tried-and-true dinner, a simple favorite we've enjoyed many times.

This was Lentils with Garlic and Onion (Indian Cooking, p124) with Simple Buttery Rice with Onions (Indian Cooking, 149). Then lentils are intended as a side dish, but I use them as a vegetarian main dish over rice. For a dinner for two, I made the full amount of the lentil recipe and a third of the rice. This is a very generous dinner, and there's a bit of the lentils in the fridge for leftovers night.

The lentils are started by frying some cumin seeds, then adding a goodly amount of garlic, then adding a chopped onion and cooking till it begins to brown. Stir in the lentils and water, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer at a low heat till the lentils are done, about an hour. Finally add some salt and cayenne and simmer a bit longer. I always use the higher measure for the cayenne, and a sloppily generous measure at that. The buttery rice is really good with many dishes. I use about half the butter asked.


This post is shared with this week's I Heart Cooking Clubs.

4 comments:

  1. Lentils simply don't get the love they should. I really enjoy them, especially served alongside potatoes or rice as you've done here. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not cooking lentils often enough! Your lentils sounds good! I would love to make some lentils recipes that I have bookmarked, especially since we are on a cooking storm with MJ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't go wrong with beans and rice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why I love this group... Would I be interested in courting the lowly lentil? Likely not. Now I've found a few recipes that look like something we'd enjoy! Beans and rice are staples here!

    ReplyDelete