Tuesday, November 27, 2012

IHCC: Bread Week!

There are so many Indian-style breads to make! Naan has been on my to-do list for a long time, hoping that something home-made will be 1) not too hard and 2) better than the grocery store stuff, which is hardly worth the money. But with last week's holiday leading immediately to a long weekend in Bordeaux, I haven't really had time to research what I'd like to make.

As I lay in bed last night (aah! back in my own bed!), I was pondering what I could manage to do bread-wise this week and how to fit it into the schedule. I reached for the only Jaffrey book that was close at hand, which turned out to be Madhur Jaffrey's Cookbook: Food for Family and Friends. There's no proper index in this book, only a list of recipes. Under the heading "Soups and Egg Dishes" I found Golden Sesame Corn Bread. That sounded like just the thing to go with soup or chili, which sounded like something that needed to be eaten in the next days.

This turned out to be a really nice cornbread. In one sense, it's a fairly standard recipe, using yogurt as a large part of the liquid. But it also has chopped chili, grated ginger, and chopped coriander/cilantro in the batter and a topping of fried yellow mustard and sesame seeds. The only criticism either of us could manage was that there were too many sesame seeds—the proportion of mustard to sesame seeds should be maybe 2:1 instead of 1:1. Otherwise, it has a nice texture and taste and made a nice accompaniment to curried zucchini soup from the freezer (part of last summer's garden bounty).


This post is shared with this week's I Heart Cooking Clubs.

3 comments:

  1. I love eating cornbread, and never knew that MJ has cornbread recipe! This sounds good with the chili, ginger and coriander. Sounds perfect with your curried zucchini soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that MJ had a cornbread recipe either, but I love the addition of the chiles and all the added spices. Thanks so much for joining us this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. Indian Cornbread. Sounds tasty.

    ReplyDelete