Monday, October 8, 2012

This week in the kitchen

Monday/8-Oct-12: It's a using-up day today. For a main, there was 2 kip filets worth of Spice-Rubbed Grilled Chicken (web); just noticed that I forgot to rub on the minced garlic, but can't say it was missed. Good and easy. Working on the potato stash there was Potatoes Cooked with Garlic and Sesame Seeds (WofE, p55), which is one of our favorites. And using my impulse-bought haricots verts, there was Tangy Green Beans with Ajwain and Ginger (SpiceKitch, p38), which is one of my go-to recipes when I want some color on a plate of Indian food. Altogether a yummy meal. IHCC post here.

Tuesday/9-Oct-12: Grocery shopping today, at Intermarché, rather than Leclerc, just to be different. A bit limited in selection of fresh veg, organic stuff, and brand names. Good fora change, though.

Dinner was a half recipe of Soft Tacos with Mushrooms, Onion, and Chipotle Chile (VeryBest, p150). A nice, light dinner, easy and tasty. I used a whole chipotle, with seeds, when only a half, seeded, was asked. Nicely tingly, it was. For dessert we each had a chocolate religieuse that I saw at shop. Definitely something to get again, but not too often. It's a cream puff, filled with chocolate custard, poured over with dark chocolate. A fluted ring of white cream holds a profiterole on top, also filled with chocolate and topped with more dark chocolate.

Wednesday/10-Oct-12: Yogurt on overday.

Dinner was a half recipe of Oven-Steamed Salmon with Pan-Cooked Mushrooms (VeryBest, p308). An unusual way of cooking salmon, in a fairly cool oven (300F), with a pan of steaming water on the floor. Not bad at all, although I'm not sure it was any better than broiled. The mushroom garnish was good. Served with steamed broccoli and trio rice. Double chocolate mini Magnums for dessert.

Thursday/11-Oct-12: Oops, I got kip filets out of the freezer this morning, instead of thighs, so tonight's dinner of Spanish Chicken with Chorizo and Potatoes (web) wasn't quite what was intended. Quite nice, though. I added the breasts about halfway through the cooking so they wouldn't get overdone. Served with a big salad. Then we had just a bit of goat cheese for the taste.

Friday/12-Oct-12: Used up some odd ends of stale bread to make Double-Boiler Bread Pudding (MC). Dinner was a half dose of Zesty Shrimp & Black Bean Salad (web), served with some mâche and roquette salad. Very tasty and easy, although it's really a summer thing.

Saturday/13-Oct-12: Yogurt on overday.

Bill arrived this evening. We had Greek-Style Lentil Salad (WorldVeg, p630), a really easy and nice lentil salad. (This was a post for this week's IHCC.) Then there was Barley Soup with Zucchini (Shaw, p175), which wasn't too bad, in spite of my efforts. First of all, I didn't get enough mushrooms for this week's meals, so I used canned shrooms instead. Then, I got to a stopping place and turned off the soup to finish later ... not. When I came back, it was pretty well burnt to the bottom. I rescued what I could and added water. Fairly tasty even so. Definitely one to try again.

Sunday/14-Oct-12: The old folks of Mazerolles were treated to a lovely lunch today. Just some carrot sticks this evening.

Progress on goals
This week: #1 COOKBOOKS: no, #2 BREAD: no, #3 SOUP: yes, #4 MIDDAY: yes, #5 VEG/FISH: 4
This month: #6 PASTA: no

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kaye, where do your source your chillies? Or do you stock up on chipotle and such like when home on visits?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, I have been known to buy stuff in the US, but most things I can get either here (by mail order) or in NL (by mailorder or shops). Tjin's (off Albert Cuyp) has chipotles in adobo and usually has the common dried chilies (ancho, chipotle). There's a mail order company in NL with more selection -- also fresh corn tortillas from Corny Bakers in Weesp. I'll look up the address for this if you want. Tjin's also has tortillas, but only sometimes. I've recently found a mail order place in FR, but it tends to be more limited and they were out of masa for so long I finally ordered from NL.

    ReplyDelete