Monday, October 15, 2012

IHCC: Lentil Love

I'm not sure I even knew what a lentil was until I was an adult. My family had black-eyed peas and pintos, but beyond that the household bean repertoire was fairly limited. And, because of these, I grew up thinking I didn't like beany things very much at all. At some point in graduate school or even later, I discovered chickpeas and black beans, and, one of the easiest and tastiest of all the beany things, lentils. Regular lentils, de puy lentils, orange lentils. All delicious things. 

Several of Jaffrey's Indain lentil recipes are family favorites. At least one of them ranks up there in the Comfort Food category. For this week's challenge, I thought I'd try something new and a bit different, Greek-Style Lentil Salad (WorldVeg, p630). 


(I was a bit slow getting started with this book when I first got it, but have really enjoyed it in the last year or so. There's a nice variety of recipes that have been pretty successful so far.)

The recipe doesn't say this, but I drained the cooked lentils. While they were cooling in the colander, I chopped some onion (I used a shallot since only two tablespoons are asked and I didn't want to deal with the leftover onion), tomato (I seeded, but didn't peel it), green bell pepper, and cucumber, and parsley. These got tossed with the lentils, oregano, and equal amounts of olive oil and lemon juice. Then salt-and-peppered to taste for serving.

This is such a simple recipe, I was a bit worried that it might be very plain. But it was really very tasty. The acid of the lemon bought together the earthy lentils and the veggies. Those of us at table who like our food a bit on the spicy side thought it might be even more wonderful if a bit of finely chopped chili were added. 

The recipe says it serves 4-6. I expect this is as a side salad. As a main, this would generously serve 2. 


This post is shared with I Heart Cooking Clubs.

4 comments:

  1. I have never tried lentils in salads, this sounds great! The addition of chili does sounds wonderful, I'm all for anything spicier!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely salad! I always forget that lentils are delicious cold too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty new to lentils as a selection...this looks pretty yummy!!

    ReplyDelete