Saturday, July 7, 2012

Steamed Summer Squash Vinaigrette

Too Many Tomatoes, Squash, Beans, and Other Good Things
Lois M. Burrows and Laura G. Myers
Harper&Row Publishers (1976)
ISBN 0060907657


Too Many Tomatoes is probably one of the first cookbooks I ever bought, a book for using up your garden surplus. The recipes are maybe a bit old-fashioned, US cooking from the 50s and 60s, but still useful. I've used it a lot over the years, and even bought a second copy when we were moving back and forth between houses. My main copy is held together by a fat rubberband. For one reason or another, it's been languishing on its shelf for a while now. With a box of organic courgettes in the fridge, I gave it a look and found this winner or a side dish.

This is about as easy a dish as you can make. Start by slicing your zucchinis thin; because I know that European courgettes are a bit larger than a typical American zucchini, I cut mine lengthwise before slicing. Steam the slices. When they're fork tender, a bit crispy still, drain them and cool them by dunking in ice water or rinsing under lots of cold water. Drain them well and pop them in the fridge till you're ready to serve. Mix up a plain vinaigrette of olive oil, red wine vinegar, a good dash of Dijon mustard (the recipe called for proportionally more mustard than I usually use for a salad vinaigrette), salt, pepper, and maybe a chopped up shallot. Just before serving,  toss the chilled slices with the vinaigrette. Easy to make and much enjoyed by my husband's who's not known as a zucchini fan.


This post is linked to this week's Cookbook Sundays.

1 comment:

  1. What a great title for a cookbook, and this sounds like the perfect book to have around when the summer garden starts producing a surplus of everything.

    I love the sound of this dish - I've bookmarked this to try when zucchini season comes around again - I grew my own last year and they certainly produced very prolifically.

    Thanks for sharing at Cookbook Sundays.

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete