Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Chicken Salad with Yogurt

Cool & Fresh
Culinary Notebooks series
McRae Publishing Ltd (2011)
ISBN 9788860983312 

This book is brand-new to me, a gift from a friend, who said it's full of tasty salads. It's not available at Amazon (don't they have all books?), so she sent me a copy instead. And, indeed, it seems to be full of lots of appealing dinner salads.

Our weather turned unexpectedly very hot today, and I didn't feel like standing around to make pasta in the sticky heat, so I grabbed this book to see what what could be conjured up from ingredients on hand. On the perpetual use-up-the-oldest-stuff-in-the freezer quest, I defrosted some roast chicken meat rather than skinless, boneless, chicken breast halves. Instead of marinating and grilling the raw meat, I just cut up the cooked meat and let that sit in the marinade (olive oil, lime juice, and S&P). While that's sitting, I whisked up the dressing of mayo, yogurt, more lime juice, and a dab of honey. The recipe called for wedges of iceberg lettuce on the plate, but I used a sack of mixed greens instead. Top the greens with thin strips of lengthwise-cut cucumber and the chicken, then drizzle with the dressing.


All-in-all a nice summery salad, fast and pretty tasty. It's perfect for using up leftovers, although I'm sure freshly grilled chicken would be great. I think I might add a pinch of cayenne or a drop or two of Tabasco to the dressing, just to give it that bit of zing.

This post is linked to this week's Cookbook Sundays

1 comment:

  1. What a great looking salad - I love things like this that enable me to use up a few leftovers from the fridge or freezer. This looks so delectably "summery".

    Thanks for sharing at Cookbook Sundays.

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete