Friday, June 8, 2012

Stir-Fried Lamb with Garlic and Basil

Ken Hom's Quick Wok: The Fastest Food in the East
Ken Hom
Headline Book Publishing (2001)
ISBN 0747276005


After a couple of months with no activity on my use-my-unused-cookbooks project, I'm back at it again. It's not that I've not been using my cookbooks, I do freqeuently, but it's been the old regulars rather than the unused ones.

This book is a fairly recent acquisition and I haven't really read it. I found this at a charity book sale and thought it might be worth a look. A quick perusal has already led to several stickies, so it looks like it deserves more attention. I have cooked a lot from Ken Hom's Hot Wok and a bit from his Easy Family Recipes from a Chinese-American Childhood; I have an active dislike for his Asian Vegetarian Feast, since this supposedly vegetarian book insists that you use chicken stock, making nonsense of its title. Two out of three, not bad.

Tonight's dinner certainly lived up the to "quick" promise. Thin slices of lamb sit for 20 minutes in a marinade of light soy sauce, shaoxing wine, sesame oil, and cornstarch. Then they're fried in the wok (a skillet would work fine, of course), and fried some more after a lot of sliced garlic is added, and fried just a bit longer after adding some basil and cilantro leaves. All very quickly done and on the table so fast, I forgot to take a picture till I was halfway through eating. And very tasty it was.


This post is linked to this week's Cookbook Sunday

1 comment:

  1. Kaye, this sounds like a wonderful dish. I love things like this that are quick and easy to put together for a mid-week dinner. This sounds like a great book to look out for.

    Thanks so much for sharing this at Cookbook Sundays xo

    ReplyDelete