Monday, March 12, 2012

White Lasagna with Roasted Vegetables

The Roasted Vegetable
Andrea Chesman
Harvard Common Press (2002)
ISBN 1558321691

This book has been hanging around the shelves quite a while, and has always put me off a bit because it has no information or recipes using the brassica family. My experience is that broccoli, cauliflower, and relations roast up especially well, so it's odd not to find them here.

This is my second outing with this book, and a very successful one. We both really liked this lasagna. It's a pretty standard white lasagna, with roast veggies as the filling: red bell peppers, eggplant, fennel, leek. In the end, I thought some mushrooms would have been an nice addition; DH thought that some black olives would have been nice.

While the veggies roast, you make up a panful of a garlic-scented bechamel sauce, adding a goodly slog of white wine and some chopped fennel leaves at the end.

To fill the pan, you start with a bit of the sauce. Then, three times, you layer 1/4 of the lasagna noodles, 1/2 cup sauce, 1/3 of the roasted veggies, and 1/2 cups Parmesan. Top it all off by a final layer of noodles, the rest of the sauce, and another 1/2 cup of Parmesan. Bake covered at 350F for 30 minutes, then for another 10-15 minutes uncovered. (My lasagna took a bit longer uncovered to get a nice bit of browning.) Let it stand for 5 minutes before serving.


This post is linked to this week's Cookbook Sundays.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is a book I've never come across, but it sounds like one I would really like - being a lover of just about any vegetable roasted. And I agree with you - I think things like cauliflower and broccoli do roast well. This lasagna sounds delicious - I have made a Giada de Laurentis vegetable lasagna which is similar - and I like your ideas of adding mushrooms and black olives.

    Sorry you had trouble with the link up this week, but I'm grateful that you persevered with joining Cookbook Sundays, and I have fixed the link up for you.

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love roasted mediterranean vegetables and bechamal sauce is my favourite part of a lasagna so this sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete