Thursday, March 1, 2012

Tagliatelle with Chicken Livers


Antonio Carluccio Cooks Pasta
Antonio Carluccio
BBC Books (1999)
ISBN 0563384557

Carluccio's chocolate pasta not being my favorite pasta ever, I thought I'd give this book another try with my monthly fresh pasta. This recipe called for fresh tagliatelle, so I made that in the early afternoon, then prepared the sauce for dinner.

Chicken livers are not my favorite food, but the DH loves them, so I try to indulge him occasionally. But I have to say, even I liked the results. What's more, this has to be one of the cheapest dinners I've ever made. The chicken livers cost less than one euro. Pasta, how much does less than 1-1/2 cups flour and two eggs cost? The rest of the ingredients are pantry staples of minimal cost.

For two, start by finely slicing a small onion and sautéing gently in oil until softened. While that's cooking, sliver 150g of chicken livers. Add them to the onion, along with 2 bay leaves, and sauté gently over low heat for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.

While the liver cooks, prepare one little bowl with 1-1/2 tablespoons of sherry (I used 2 tablespoons, since a lot evaporates and I was cutting back the recipe) and a grind of nutmeg, and another with 1 tablespoon of tomato purée and 1 tablespoon chicken stock (or water).

Drop the fresh pasta into boiling water, then stir the sherry/nutmeg into the livers and let simmer for a minute or so. Then stir in the tomato purée and stock; maybe you'll need some extra stock or water to give a nice consistency. Taste and add salt and pepper as you like. Remove the bay leaves and serve over the drained pasta, topped with lots of freshly grated Parmesan.


The fresh tagliatelle was delicious with this, but I don't see why a dried pasta wouldn't be perfectly good. And why not a shaped pasta like gemelli/cascareccia or butterflies?

This post is linked to this week's Cookbook Sundays.

1 comment:

  1. I so want to try this, Kaye - I love chicken livers. I don't eat them nearly often enough, and you're right - they are a very economical meal. Haven't made fresh pasta for ages either - I'm sure that, as you say, dried pasta would work just as well, but there's something very satisfying about making your own. If you have Mario Batali's book Molto Italiano, he also has a great recipe for spinach tagliatelle with chicken livers that I've had bookmarked for ages.

    Thanks for sharing this at Cookbook Sundays.

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete