Monday, February 13, 2012

This week in the kitchen

Monday/13-Feb-12: Last night's bread was White Bread (BHGBread, p8). Pretty good.

Yogurt on overday.

Made a broccoli-pasta thing for dinner using a recipe from the web. Didn't know I could make a broccoli-pasta thing I didn't like. A big squirt of sriracha helped. Chocolate tapioca pudding for dessert.

Tuesday/14-Feb-12: We had a lovely Valentine's lunch at La Bellone. Some fruit for dinner, followed by a bowl of salt- and butter-free air-popped popcorn.

Wednesday/15-Feb-12: Made some Buttermilk Bread (MC) this morning. On Rapid, which probably isn't the best thing to do when you're starting with cold milk. Not bad though. This is the bread that I thought came from BHGBread but didn't. (Do I need another ABM cookbook, I wonder?) Very more-ish, this bread.

Didn't feel like cooking at all today. Defrosted the Curried Zucchini Soup from August for dinner. It wasn't bad, but not great. Lots of bright flavors, and the apple was a nice touch, but the flavor lacked some "depth" or something. Not sure if I saved the recipe, but I'm wondering if it was made with water, rather than with chicken stock. It needs a bit of salt, so I might stir in a bit of chicken bouillon powder when I reheat.

Thursday/16-Feb-12: Dinner was a half dose of Spaghetti with Olives, Capers, and Anchovies (30MinPasta, p121), which I see from cookbooker that I made last April. Didn't leave a mark in the book and didn't remember. Oops. Oh well, it's good, and it's really fast.

Yogurt on overnight.

Friday/17-Feb-12: Shopping at Leclerc today, where we found a new feature being introduced. At the entrance, you can get a handheld scanner that allows you to scan your grocery items as you pick them up (and pack them directly), then exit via a special lane, handing in your scanner to pay. We didn't try this today and are not sure how will this will work with our "team shopping" approach. And how can you pack things away properly until you've gotten it all? Another plot to reduce the number of employees, is this good?

Lots of meat unexpectedly on sale today. Now I have another chunk of goat in the freezer now, a pair of varkenshaasjes, and a bunch of lamb chops.

For dinner I made some bbq-sauce-like stuff, very vaguely following a recipe from the web, and added the shredded pork from last week's pork roast. Pretty good pulled pork sandwiches there. Served with Mama's Garlic Coleslaw. For dessert there was some of the raspberry sorbet lingering in the freezer topped by some defrosted raspberries.

Saturday/18-Feb-12: My supply being almost gone, I made up some Herb Salt (Art, p172).

Dinner was some Curried Zucchini Soup (indeed the chicken bouillon helped the flavor) accompanied by pulled pork sandwiches and coleslaw. Good stuff.

Sunday/19-Feb-12: When I did my inventory prior to going to the Netherlands, I didn't find any green peppercorns in the pantry. This week, when I cleaned the cupboard, I found two little jars hiding way in the back. So now I have three jars. And, as a start to my use-up-some-green-peppercorns quest, tonight's dinner was Gemelli with Shrimp and Green Peppercorns (web; cookbooker). Followed by a salad. Then the last of the tiny squares of cheese.

Progress on goals
This week: #1 COOKBOOKS: sort of, #2 BREAD: yes, #3 SOUP: yes, #4 MIDDAY: no, #5 VEG/FISH: 3
This month: #6 PASTA: no

No comments:

Post a Comment