Sunday, December 25, 2011

Chocolate Pasta


Antonio Carluccio Cooks Pasta
Antonio Carluccio
BBC Books (1999)
ISBN 0563384557

Yes, that what it says, chocolate pasta.

This is a book I bought a long time ago, but I've never spent that much time with it. I enjoyed Carluccio's TV shows and have others of his books that I've used, but this one never seemed to catch my eye somehow. Last week, I picked it up, as a unused cookbook, looking for a sauce inspiration for my monthly fresh pasta effort. When I saw the recipe for chocolate pasta, I figured I'd found my recipe—not to mention dessert for christmas dinner.

The recipe said it served four; having made it, I expect that might really be six. I cut the recipe in half for two and there was easily another serving available.

Cut in half, the recipe looks much like the one I most often use for fresh pasta, from Marcella Hazan's Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking, but with sugar and cocoa added. Those extras, with no additional liquid, made the dough really stiff and much too dry. I added quite of a bit of extra water just to get it workable, but I'm sure it was still too dry. I could only roll it to 5 on my machine. It was a good think I'd planned to stop there, because it would have been impossible to roll it on 6. Here's the pasta waiting for its final preparation.


The recipe called for the pasta to be drizzled with honey and topped with chopped pistachios. Instead, I drizzled with crème anglaise (store-bought, sorry) before topping with the pistachios. Walnuts or other nuts would also be good, I think.


This is one of those things that I probably won't make again, but I'm glad I tried it. Now I know just what chocolate pasta is like.

This post is linked to this week's Cookbook Sundays.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, who'd have thought - I've never tried chocolate pasta - neither eaten it or made it. I imagine it could be pretty good turned into ravioli with some kind of sweet filling. I'm a big Antonio Carluccio fan too, though I don't have any of his books - something I need to change perhaps.

    Thanks for sharing with Cookbook Sundays.

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete