Monday, March 14, 2011

This week in the kitchen

Monday/14-Mar-11: Ok, it's π day. So we had pie, not sweet, but lamb pot pies made with stuff from the freezer. Pâte brisée, some cooked lamb from the Indian leg of lamb, some Cajun-flavored lamb-cooking juice left from lamb shanks, peas, and carrots (not from the freezer). Not a traditional pot pie, but a pot pie none-the-less. And not served at 1:59 or 15:92, but you can't have everything.


I couldn't eat all mine; the leftovers will show up as a starter before long. A dab of bread pudding for dessert.

Tuesday/15-Mar-11: The intention was to have an early meal today, but things kept getting later, so we ended up eating when I need to be getting read to go to line dancing class. Well, it was good. Oven-Roasted Cumin Shrimp With Mango And Avocado Salsa (MC 2BTried, collected somewhere on web). The treatment of the shrimp in this recipe was very unusual (to me). After removing the head, you take off the feet, then peel back the shell, leaving it attached at the tail end. Salt and pepper the shrimp, rub with a marinade of olive oil, red pepper flakes, and ground cumin, then replace the shell and roast them very hot for 4 minutes a side (or less). Quite tasty. The recipe serves four. I made a half recipe of the shrimp and all of the salsa, served with rice; we ate it all. The first time I've used frozen mango slices—very nice they are. Something to keep in the freezer I think. When I got back from line dancing, we finished off the bread pudding.

Wednesday/16-Mar-11: Pizza tonight. Leeks and bacon (lardons) with goat cheese and some oven-roasted tomatoes. Good.

Thursday/17-Mar-11: Leftover night. Had the rest of the lamb pot pie, with the cauliflower potato stuff, and some rice, and some salmon from the freezer rubbed with Indian spices and baked.

Friday/18-Mar-11: Shopped today. Dinner was Cooking Italy's Veal Stew with Sage, White Wine, and Cream (ClassicItal, p377). Served with a big salad. For dessert we had "roses", a favorite treats that's occasionally available at the grocery. For the longest time I thought these were toasted oatmeal coated with dark chocolate, but recently discovered they were corn flakes! Yum.

Hmm, I didn't do much of a meal plan for this week, but I can't say that I've stuck to it much at all.

Yogurt on overnight.

Saturday/19-Mar-11: Didn't feel much like cooking tonight, but had a chunk of cod I bought yesterday than need to be used. It became Bob's Famous Fish (Desperation, p279), accompanied by polenta and some roasted asparagus. Followed by half a petit Camembert and then two roses.

Sunday/20-Mar-11: Tonight I made lemon-pepper linguine for Lemon Pepper Linguine with Artichoke Hearts (MC). It's a recipe I've made before, including the fresh pasta (the recipe calls for store-bought fresh pasta), and followed it not as closely. I used artichoke bottoms rather than hearts and added some strips of roasted red bell pepper (from a jar) for color; both worked fine. For the pasta, I used some Tipo 00 flour that had been languishing on the shelf since I brought it back from NL last fall. And I must stay it was about the best textured pasta I've ever made. I hope I can find this stuff around here. Or maybe the place where I mail-ordered the marsala will have it. Anyhow, worth seeking out. I grated in the zest of a lemon and ground in lots of black pepper for the flavoring. (When I first started making fresh pasta, I used semolina flour, but this turned out quite difficult to use. I've read several places now that it's what factories use, but at home you should use Tipo 00 or all-purpose flour. All-purpose works fine, but Tipo 00 works better!) The pasta dish followed by a salad, followed by the rest of the petit Camembert, and then two roses.

Progress on goals
This week: #1 VEG/FISH: yes, #2 SOUP: yes, #3 MIDDAY: no
This month: #4 PASTA: yes

3 comments:

  1. Where do you find Tipo 00 flour in Holland? I find the choice of flour here abysmal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kingsalmarkt in Amstelveen has Tipo 00.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, Sydney once took me to an Italian "toko" in A'dam, on a little sidestreet just off the Bilderdijkgracht, I think it was. They had everything (except parking;-), so I expect they have Tipo 00 too.

    ReplyDelete