Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Risotto with Saffron, Milanese Style

Cooking Italy Assignment
Risotto with Saffron, Milanese Style, p246

A risotto this time, a bit different from others I've made before with no wine and meat broth instead of chicken broth. Not sure if that's what makes it Milanese, but it's definitely different, and quite tasty. The technique is much the same as any risotto, so there's not much to say there


Since I didn't have enough of the arborio rice left to do this, I opened the new packet, the carnaroli rice that I got when I mail-ordred the marsala. Can't say I noticed that the carnaroli was especially wonderful, but the flavor of this risotto was different enough that it might have distracted from the rice itself.

The recipe says it serves 6. I made a half recipe and it rather skimpily served two as a main course, with a big salad afterwards. Good to eat, though.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure it was great. You don't always have to have wine. I think I'll make this for the boys today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My recipe from an old Time-Life book does used chicken broth and wine for Risotto Milanese, so there's probably no definitive recipe. I always serve it with ossobucco. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete