Monday, February 21, 2011

This week in the kitchen

Monday/21-Feb-11: For breakfast, I made some Zucchini Raisin Bran Muffins from a recipe I found on the web. Pretty good.

Gray and rainy all day—how depressing. For lunch we had the rest of the Squash and Corn Chowder, along with our fruit. So much soup, we had only light dinner, quite late. I made some Lemon-Sage Tortellini with Chicken and Peppers, a recipe I've done before and only vaguely followed this time. Good enough.

Tuesday/22-Feb-11: Back to Cooking Italy with Fried Calamari (ClassicItal, p319). Served with Roasted Eggplant with Peppers and Cucumber (ClassicItal, p55) and Marinated Carrot Sticks (ClassicItal, p56), both recipes I've made before. I made aoili to go with the calamari, but probably liked them best with just some lemon juice sqeezed on. Had a lot of trouble getting the mayonnaise to work, not sure why. (Had the same problem with the Lime-Chili Mayo a couple of weeks ago.) First batch, in blender, just wouldn't come together. Quick search showed that you could make a new batch and add the old stuff once the new batch emulsifies. So I started batch #2 in a food processor. Still no success, although I gave up quite early. Poured the yolk, mustard, and the bit of oil I'd added into a bowl and finished off by hand. Easy enough, but tiring. Not I've got a double-batch of garlicky mayo to use up in the next days.

Wednesday/23-Feb-11: Shop this afternoon. Dinner was Garlic Chicken Bites (MC), adapted to use, yes, aoili, and spiced up a bit. We thought the aoili went better with this, than with the calamari. Served with the last of this batch of trio rice; have a new brand to try since this organic one is getting really difficult to find. Then a salad of arugula and mâche, using the rest of yesterday's eggplant salad. For dessert, two storebought

Thursday/24-Feb-11: Yogurt on overday.

More of the new year's "packets" for a starter. Main was Homemade Broccoli or Cauliflower Casserole (MC 2BTried), meant as a side dish no doubt, but I served is as a main over some pasta (since we had rice last night). Used aoili in the sauce; mozzarella needing to be used ipv cheddar. Not bad, but not worth keeping the recipe, I think. Some dark chocolate "roses" I found at the grocery yesterday. I thought these were based on oatmeal, but they're cornflakes. Very good.

Friday/25-Feb-11: Used up a bunch of apples from the cheapy sack I bought to make Teddie's Apple Cake (Essential, p752) this morning, and good it is too!

For our midday meal with had Thai Chicken Roll-Ups (MC), wraps with a vaguely Thai-flavored chicken filling, made even better by a squirt of sriracha before folding the wraps. A pretty light meal, but tasty.

Saturday/26-Feb-11: A rommel of a day; tossed the plan for the evening's dinner. Instead I finished off the Indian Cauliflower Soup (H2CEV, p130) from the freezer. We had a bit of pâté for a starter, then some apples, carrots and cherry toms (for me), and then soup. Preferred this variation to the Creamy Broccoli one we had earlier (that I made at the same time).

Sunday/27-Feb-11: Visited the Victor Hugo market in Angoulême this morning. Showing restraint. I came away with (only) some olives, a pair of small artichokes, and some asparagus. So many good-looking food things there. I saw some duck "steaks" that were slices, cut horizontally across both breasts; resisted buying any just to see.

We ate lunch in Angoulême before going to a movie. Just some fruit for dinner.

Progress on goals
This week: #1 VEG/FISH: yes, #2 SOUP: yes, #3 MIDDAY: yes
This month: #4 PASTA: not yet (and only one day left this month!)

No comments:

Post a Comment